Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year Motivation Is Never Enough

Tis the season for New Year Resolutions.

Now normally, it's about mid-February before people throw up their hands in defeat under the weight of the vows they made on December 31st. It appears, this year, the surrender came a tad bit earlier for one of my Twitter buddies. The "tweet" simply read, "It's gone. I've looked everywhere. My motivation is gone."

I must admit, that's funny. Because it is so, so, so very TRUE. New Year Motivation isn't gonna carry you very far. Nope, it's never enough.

  • I am not saying we shouldn't want this year to be better than last year.
  • I am not saying we shouldn't set goals.

I AM saying we need more than motivation. We need unwavering, unshakable determination. 

Unwavering, unshakable determination comes from abiding in Christ.  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (John 15:7)


So often, we get this backwards. We resolve to do this or that and then foolishly ask God to follow us. Is there any wonder we run out of steam?

We must begin by ... abiding in Christ.

Then, as we listen to Him guide us through His Word, we surrender our will to His Will.

Jesus leads, we follow.

Want a fool proof New Year Resolution ... Abide in Him, allow His Word to abide in you, and follow His lead. Now that's a winning "better" year resolution.


Father God, fill our hearts with a desire to abide in Christ. Show us what it means to abide in Jesus. Show us what it means to have His Word abide in us. May 2013 be the year that we can boldly say ... Jesus led the way and I followed. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment