Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Takes One To Know One

Over the past few days there has been "much to do" about a certain sports celebrity. After years of denial, and after being stripped of his titles in his sport, he has chosen to confess to wrong doing.

Not being much of a fan of the sport, I had little interest in the hoopla that was spilling out in the news. Until, I heard a comment by one of the "authorities" on the subject. When asked his reaction to the admission of guilt, he said ... "Reporting Lance Armstrong has admitted to doping is like reporting the ocean is deep." This comment captured my attention because it was funny. It held my attention because it rang true.

Even I, one who tried hard to avoid the stories on this subject over the years, had heard enough to convince me he was lying when he denied any wrong doing. So, I whole-heartedly shared the "experts" sentiment of ... Oh, he confessed. Well, thank you Captain Obvious.

Sucked in by the drama, I leaned in a little closer. I began to question his motives, his heart, and his intentions. (Oh, don't you judge me ... you do it too) Now, there was nothing wrong with his words. He was saying the right things. No, it was more his attitude. I saw an attitude of ... I'm busted. Yes, I did it. And I'm even sorry. Sorry, I got caught.

That's when, I realized this was more about me than him. Actually, this was not about him at all anymore. My perceived notions of his intent, were because ... it takes one to know one. I have never lied about using performance enhancing drugs in my sport but ... I have lied and attempted to cover it up. Once you start the cover up, it's hard to come clean. You begin to reveal truth in layers. Even then, only what is necessary for damage control. You begin to rationalize your wrong didn't hurt anyone or that everyone else is doing it. Yes, I am well aware that just because there is a confession that doesn't mean there is a heart of repentance.

Confession of wrong doing, although noble and necessary, will not change your heart.

Coming face-to-face in agreement with the One True God that all sin (wrong doing) is first against Him, and then against others .... that's what changes hearts.

Father God, when I'm tempted to look at others with a critical spirit remind me ... it takes one to know one. Turn my critical spirit into a heart of prayer. Prayer of thanksgiving for Your grace in my life. Then, a prayer that the person caught in the web of deception would know the freedom found in true repentance. The joy found in a heart right with You.



No comments:

Post a Comment