Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Aroma of Friendship, Part 1

A friend recently called and asked if she could drop by with a gift. I said, come on over!!! She arrived with a loaf of freshly baked bread, and a bag of goo. Attached to the "goo" was a bread recipe that would also make... 4 MORE bags of goo! Oh, NO - "Friendship" bread.

(In my mind only, of course) I said... I thought this "friendship" recipe chain fizzled out in the 80's! Please tell me big hair is not making a come-back too!!

I tasted the bread, it was delicious! The "starter" concept, not so much! I accepted the gift, and told my friend I would try to be faithful. She smiled, and left. Of course she was smiling, she had found a sucker to take her bag of goo! I went to bed that night with the pressure of keeping the little chemistry project alive.

For 10 days there was a speific action required. Each day's action required just a few minutes but was VITAL! On about the third day, I started to look forward to each daily task. The starter was responsive, growing, flourishing.

On the 10th day, the final day - - - there was great anticipation! It was time to make the bread! I could let my friend know that I was faithful with her gift.

What happened next was a bonus...

As the aroma (that would make Panera envious) filled my house, I began to see why they might have named it "friendship" bread:

Just as surely as my "starter" would have died from neglect - so will my friendships.

Just as surely as my "starter" flourished when it was nourished - so will my friendships.

My friend gave me more than the gift of "friendship" bread, she gave me the gift of a lesson in friendship I will never forget.

Join me tomorrow for Part 2 - Ways to nurture and keep the gift of friendship alive.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful image, Patty. And thank you for being that aroma for me. But please don't give me the goo right now, just the friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Julie!

    I baked the bread, but tossed the 4 bags of "pass-along" goo. I am goo-free. : )

    ReplyDelete