Friday, May 8, 2009

The Aroma of Friendship, Part 2

Okay, so how do we "nourish" our friendships so they may flourish? Well... Just as the "bag of goo" (in part 1) needed time and touch to flourish, so do our friendships.

Now before you start hyperventilating, I am NOT suggesting that you spend all your time nourishing your friendships. That's called stalking, not friendship. : )

What I am saying is (many of us) can get so caught up in the busyness of life that days, weeks, months, even years, may pass without our lives "touching" the lives of the ones we call friend.

Here are some quick, effective, ways to keep a friendship alive:

  • Texting - Texting has become my favorite way to "touch" a friend. The thing I like about texting is it can be done privately, in a public place. Have you ever had a good "belly-laugh" text? Oh...it's good medicine! And I say,from personal experience, this text medicine has saved the life of at least one "sandpaper" person!

  • Quick Phone Call - No, it's not an oxymoron! I know the master - her secret is to draw a line in the sand right up front. Saying something like, "I'm in the middle of ____ but I wanted to call and tell you ____. She is one of my dearest friends, largely because of her investment in "nurturing" our friendship with quick phone calls.

  • Snail Mail - Yes! Yes! Yes! A hand written letter, card, or a note is still (in my humble and accurate opinion) one of the most intimate ways to "touch" a friend. It does not have to be elaborate. Something simple like... I am thankful for our friendship. Sign your name and mail it. In a mountain of junk mail and bills, this puts off a sweet aroma of friendship!

I hope you enjoyed these suggestions and will "touch" the life of a friend this week.

I would love to hear your comments.

What are some other ways you have "nourished" your friendships?

1 comment:

  1. I love to trade herbs with gardening friends. It sort of makes us "family," and as our herbs grow, so does our friendship!

    ReplyDelete