Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sat(her)day - First Love

This past week I was reminded of words spoken to me (and thousands of others) while I was attending a ministry conference nearly 8 years ago. What were the words? "Be careful you don't get so busy doing ministry that you neglect the One who has enabled you to join Him in His ministry."

I remember thinking ... "that's ridiculous!"

I could not for the life of me wrap my mind around how someone could get so busy doing ministry that they could grow cold in their walk with Christ. I just knew it could never happen to me. There was no way I would ever neglect my Jesus!

Over the years, those strong words and promises of mine proved to be simply strong words and promises. Unfortunately, there have been many times I have become so distracted by the details of life and ministry that I have neglected my first love. I wish I could say I have never grown cold in my love for my Jesus but I can not. What I can say is ....

My Jesus has never grown cold in His love for me.

My Jesus has never ceased to draw me back to Him.

My Jesus has been faithful (and jealous) for me to return to Him, my first love.

Maybe you, like me, have become weary with the "heaviness" of the holiday season. The details of life and ministry (the needs of hurting people) have overwhelmed you. How foolish it is to think we can do it in our own power. How foolish it is to continue to try.

He is waiting. He is calling. He is faithful.

Run to Him. Sit at His feet. Allow Him to minister to you today.

That's how I am choosing to spend my "Sat(her)day" today ... with my first love, my Jesus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat(her)day may be done on any day (that works well for you) of the week. It is meant to be an encouragement and a reminder to women in leadership to plan time for themselves at least once a week. My Saturday blog has proven to be an effective means of holding myself accountable. I hope it inspires you to the same accountability. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment