Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Sat(her)day" ~ A Time to Ponder

I had such high hopes for the past week. Key word here is had. My shattered high hopes pale in comparison though to the lessons (I've had time to ponder this week) which I learned on the island.

Lesson # 1 - It's not wise for someone (like me) who battles fall allergies to visit a paradise with no seasonal irritants (smile) and return home before the season is over! Yes, I believe my next trip to Jamaica will NOT be in the fall. If it is .... I will simply have to stay until winter. (BIG smile)

Lesson # 2 - How quickly our priorities change when we are forced to focus on our basic physical needs. During my time of inconvenience (minor discomfort associated with allergies & sinus) this week, I was reminded of the Jamaican culture and their simplistic approach to life. Because of their extreme poverty, their focus is simple ... providing food and shelter for their families.

Lesson # 3 - How insignificant many of the things which clutter my mind are and how they choke out my peace and contentment. Again I was reminded of the peace/joy/contentment I witnessed in the Jamaican culture.

Lesson # 4 - How fulfilling it is to return to a simplier way of thinking, of being, and of doing.

The following words were spoken by a young Jamaican man my hubby and I had opportunity to get to know a little bit on our trip. He said, "I study Americans. This is what I have observed, you Americans have everything but you live as if you have nothing. That's very sad."

My husband and I could only agree with his observation. Very sad, indeed. I pray I will never forget this young man or his observation of our culture. As an American, I pray I will never forget how blessed I am. As a Christian, I pray I will never forget that I do (in fact) have everything.
----------------------------------------------------
Sat(her)day may be done on any day (that works well for you) of the week. It is meant to be an encouragement and a reminder to women in leadership to plan time for themselves at least once a week. My Saturday blog has proven to be an effective means of holding myself accountable. I hope it inspires you to the same accountability. : )

1 comment: