Monday, August 10, 2009

"Double Portion Of Bizarre!" Part 2

Damage was minor, delay shorter than expected, and I was on my way home... Long gone was my "ahead of schedule" efficiency streak, but I didn't care. My only concern was to get home to my man. This was our final evening together and I was determined NOT to be distracted! I was able to keep my focus because I was prepared. Yes, preparation is good.

The next morning (rested and ready) I set out for the conference. Winding through the mountains of North Carolina, surrounded by nothing but HUGE rocks, I was suddenly very aware how small and vulnerable I was. And how glad I am that my very big God has His eyes on me. My heart turned to thanksgiving and praise.

I arrived at "SheSpeaks" with a full heart despite the severe thunderstorms which had followed me for the past 5 hours. With every session, and every encounter, God continued to repeat what He had already spoken to me on my drive ... "I am big. And My eyes are on you."

I left the conference with an action list a page and a half long, and was looking forward to processing all I had learned on my drive home. My plans (once again) took a 180 degree turn while traveling along I-85. I was in the center lane and there was a truck (not a semi, but a moving type truck) traveling in the fast lane. The truck decided he wanted the center lane which was already occupied by a unsuspecting mini-van! I was BEHIND the mini-van... I prepared for impact.

The truck took the middle lane, and in doing so... pushed the minivan (much like you would push aside a child's toy) into the far right lane of traffic. There was an explosion of glass that came back on my windshield. Both vehicles continued driving until it was safe to pull over, and no other cars were impacted by the collision.

I was speechless.

My mind went back to a conversation (okay disagreement) I had with my husband 2 weeks prior over which car I would drive to the conference. I thought it made perfect sense for me to take our convertible. It would use less gas and it would certainly add to my enjoyment. He insisted it was not safe - - He won. Needless to say, I whole-heartedly agree with his decision now! I don't even want to think about how that might have played out if I had been in the convertible when the glass came flying at me.

God continued to speak what He started on the trip up, "I am big and I have My eyes on you" and He added... "don't be irritated with your husband when I choose to protect you through him."

Not exactly the lesson I expected from this year's SheSpeaks but... I wouldn't trade it for the world! The "take away" I pray I will never forget is this - -

Do not be irritated with your husband when God chooses to use him to protect you. Respect your husband and remember... God is big, and He has His eyes on you.

Again my heart is filled with thanksgiving and praise, and a deeper respect for my man. :- )

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Patty!
    This is Susan, your breakfast table-mate from She Speaks.
    I had 2 disasters in going to & from She Speaks, but not as frightening as yours. Well, our plane returning to Newark because the landing gear wasn't working was a bit scary, but it ended well. Just long delays both ways.
    It was nice to meet you and I love your blog.
    Keep in touch!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such evidence of God's attention on you, Patty. And kudos to Vince for being the protector God wants him to be and for you letting him protect. :) So thankful for your safety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, you and I were not the only ones... seems there was much distraction surrounding God's girls as they made their way to and from SheSpeaks. Glad you made it home safely. Great meeting you too. I will visit your blog. :-)

    Thanks, Julie. Your friendship, prayers, and encouragement mean more than I can say. :-)

    ReplyDelete