Monday, August 31, 2009

Aaaahh, Chick-Fil-A - Part 2

The more to the story (see part 1) unfolded as I was sitting quietly in my booth, enjoying my Chicken Minis, strawberry smoothie, and my September edition of "P31 Woman" magazine ...

Enter stage left: A Party of 6. And 1 of the 6 was bearing a beautiful gift. Being a people watcher, and a girl who appreciates the beauty of a pretty package, this display captured my attention. I began to wonder ... What's the story here? What's the occasion? What are they celebrating? Why at Chick-Fil-A? I was intrigued, and deeply distracted, as I tried not to stare. There was something about this party, something different. Something that compelled me to stay awhile longer.

After ordering their food they walked toward me, closer and closer, until they settled in the booth directly in front of me! I had a front row seat, and was going to get to see it - - Who gets the gift? What is the gift? I was so excited!

They ate, they talked, and then the gift was presented.

It was given to a young woman, approximately 20 years old, from the older men and women in the party.

What was the gift? A pair of athletic shoes.

What was her response? Sheer delight! She actually squeeled! It was fun to watch.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what they were celebrating. It didn't appear to be a birthday. And their table talk was no help at all! But I did get the answer to one of my questions ... "Why Chick-Fil-A?" So I could see it!

As I watched her receive the gift. A gift she obviously needed, and wanted! A gift she would use with great joy! My mind went back to the reason I had needed to escape my house that morning, my cluttered closets, cabinets, drawers, and garage.

This is when it became clear I was NOT there by chance. This is also when God got all in my business of clutter.

Don't laugh...

Possibly for the first time in my life, I realized I buy things (a lot of things) that I do NOT need. My cabinets, closets, drawers, and garage are proof of that pattern.

Sure, by the time it ends up in my garage, I donate it. Donating is good, right? But better would be to buy only things I will use and enjoy. This would clear my clutter and UNDOUBTEDLY free up money I could use to buy specific things for ... specific people with specific needs. Now that's a win-win combination!

I can still hear the sound of delight in the young woman's voice when she opened her athletic shoes. I hope I always will. : )

2 comments:

  1. I admit ... I would've given in to the urge to tap on their should and ASK! :) Now we won't know ... but I'm satisfied that you got to enjoy the joy of watching it unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I share your "inquiring minds want to know" frustration. AND YES ... I would have tapped a shoulder or two had God not interrupted me by getting all up in my business of clutter. : )

    I love it when He reminds me that He goes before me and prepares my path. Silly me, I thought Chick-Fil-A was my idea.

    ReplyDelete