Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I have LEARNED to be content ...

If I am completely honest with you, and myself, I knew LONG BEFORE I was willing to accept it that God was calling me into a public ministry. And even now, I struggle with "putting myself out there" when I speak, teach, and write. By nature, I am probably the MOST private person on the face of the earth! Which, to say the least, makes my job a bit challenging. The mere thought of hitting "post" on some days sends waves of nausea over me. Yes transparency, especially in written form, makes me want to change my name, change my hair color, and run to a new city? Monday was no exception. (See Chick-Fil-A, part 2)

When my head hit the pillow, my mind was flooded with thoughts like:


  • How could you be so silly?
  • Why would you need to be reminded something so basic?
  • How old are you?
  • What are people gonna think?
  • You big dummy!
  • Why would you admit it in writing?
Totally exhausted by my thoughts ... I closed my eyes, and prayed.

The verse that calmed my heart and mind was a familiar one ... I have LEARNED to be content.

You may remember this verse is spoken by Paul and is right before one of the most quoted verses in the Bible. ... I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Isn't it good to be reminded we have to LEARN to be content.

And we (just like Paul) will learn to be content, over and over again, as we walk through new circumstances.

How?

By walking in the strength Christ gives us for each "new" circumstance.

These are certainly "new" times in which we live today in America, and in our world.

We are seeing, and experiencing things we have never seen in America.

Many of us are facing financial struggles we are not prepared for.

Most of us have become very aware this is a new day, and a new time.

Take heart in knowing ... this is an opportunity to LEARN to be content in a "new" circumstance.
And whatever "new" God brings you, you can rest in knowing He IS able!

Stand firm in faith and you (like Paul) will be able to say ...

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philipians 4:12,13

Blessings to you as you continue the journey of LEARNING to be content. : )

1 comment: